As sad as it is to see the last of the butterflies visiting our garden I am all too eager to welcome the crisp cool breezes of my favorite season! This simple project will remind us of our garden guests while we prepare to spend a little more time indoors hopefully dipping into our creativity and churning out some handmade gifts for the holidays ahead. Whether this is for a simple hostess gift or if you would like to make one for each of your office mates this Christmas, this project is fun, easy and inexpensive.
What you will need:
– one sheet of 10 count plastic canvas
– one size 18 tapestry needle
– sharpie permanent marker (different colors are handy to work different areas of the design)
– graph paper (if you plan to create your own variations of this design)
– threads. You can use from your own stash like I did or DMC tapestry wool will also work well for this. Select 3 shades of your choice.
– one 5″ x 7″ frame. I used Ikea’s NYTTJA frames. A two pack sells for $2.99. Since they use durable plastic instead of glass it is perfect to use in a child’s bedroom or to ship to your far away loved one.
1. Layout and cut the plastic canvas. Cut a rectangle that is 51 holes long by 71 holes wide.